Anatomy of the World’s Most Expensive Healthcare System
1. Baicker, Katherine, and Dana Goldman. 2011. “Patient Cost-Sharing and Healthcare Spending Growth.” Journal of Economic Perspectives, 25(2): 47-68.
2. Michelson, Dan, “Doctors don’t know or care about cost? That’s half right.” Healthcare IT News, 2/20/14
3. AHIP web site: “Rising healthcare costs”
4. “Hospital Chain Said to Scheme to Inflate Bills”, Julie Creswell and Reed Abelson, The New York Times, Jan 23, 2014.
5. “A Hospital War Reflects a Bind for Doctors in the US”, Julie Creswell and Reed Abelson, The New York Times, Nov 30, 2012.
6. “Apprehensive, Many Doctors Shift to Jobs With Salaries”, Elisabeth Rosenthal, The New York Times, Feb 13, 2014.
7. “ACOs Saving Some Money, But Medicare is Short on Details”, Jenny Gold, Kaiser Health News, Jan 31, 2014.
8. “What’s The First Step in Transforming American Health Care” Robert Pearl, Forbes, Feb 20, 2014.
Accountable Care: We Can Do Better Than This
Wilensky G, Lessons from the Physician Group Practice Demonstration – A Sobering Reflection. N Eng J Med, 2011; 365:1659-61.
Colla CH, Weinberg DE, Meara E, et al., Spending Differences Associated with the Medicare Physician Group Practice Demonstration, JAMA, Sept 12, 2012, 308(10):1015-23.
Christensen c, Flier J, Vijayataghavan V, The Coming Failure of Accountable Care, The Wall Street Journal, Feb 19, 2013, p A15.
Munro D, Healthcare Pricing Transparency Gains Momentum, Forbes, June 9, 2013. http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunro/2013/06/09/healthcare-pricing-transparency-gains-momentum/
Robinson JC, Brown TT, Increases in Consumer Cost Sharing Redirect Patient Volumes and Reduce Hospital Prices for Orthopedic Surgery. Health Affairs, 2013, Aug; 32(8):1392-7. 10.1377/hlthaff.2013.0188.
Daymore J, Champion W, The Pioneer ACO First Year Results: A Fuller Picture. http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2013/07/17/the-pioneer-aco-first-year-results-a-fuller-picture/#more-33153
Harvey HB, Cohen IG, The Looming Threat of Liability for Accountable Care Organizations and What to Do About It. JAMA, 2013;310(2):141-142. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.7339.